This Cheesy Chicken Enchilada dish is sure to become a family favorite with all of the cheesy, creamy, and slightly spicy goodness mixed with the shredded chicken; all wrapped up in a tortilla shell.
I really don’t makes these Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas often enough. I should because they are so simple and delicious. I first had this yummy dish when a friend made it for us when we lived in upstate NY years ago. I miss those days – the friends and the good times. Not the mega inches of snow we had to shovel and deal with every winter. Or the cold temperatures. Living in the south has that going for it – no snow and very mild winter temperatures most of the time. But then, there’s the mega hot temps and humidity in the summer. Glad I have central air conditioning!
The heat in these chicken enchiladas is on the mild side but you most definitely can turn the heat up by using a spicier salsa and even dicing up a jalapeno if you want. I love this recipe for more than how wonderful it tastes – I love that you can use leftover chicken (or pick up some of the rotisserie chicken from the store) and that most of us will already have the ingredients already on hand!
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas come together in no time – and that makes me happy. Quick dinners are something we all need in our arsenal of recipes.
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Author: Lisa Kerhin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1½ cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 (8 0z) jar mild picante sauce, divided (medium or hot works too)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups Cheddar and Monterey Jack shredded cheese, divided
- 8 flour tortillas
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter and cook onions until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and cumin. Mix well with the onions.
- Add ¼ cup picante sauce and cream cheese and mix well. Cook 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add ¾ cup shredded cheese; mix well until melted. Remove from heat.
- Spoon about ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place seam-sides down in prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining salsa and shredded cheese.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until heated through.
Tip: you can also use ground beef in place of the chicken.