I don’t know how it is in your house when it comes to eating bananas but in my house I’ve always got three bananas remaining after the “craving” for them wears off. They ripen perfectly for my Perfect Banana Bread but I hate waiting an hour for it bake to have some. Muffins are the answer to this problem! They bake up in over half the time and cool so much faster and that means I can have one sooner.
The muffins are loaded with banana flavor that’s enhanced by the addition of a pecan and cinnamony crumb topping. They’re perfect for breakfast on the go, a mid-morning snack, or anytime. So good. So moist. You’ll want to make them again and again. Leftover bananas won’t be a problem anymore.
For the Muffins:
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream or light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
For the Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Lightly grease muffin cups, or line with muffin liners. This recipe makes 22-24 muffins. I've never had to halve the recipe as the muffins are eaten too quick.
Crumb Topping Instructions:
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Then with your hands, work in the butter until large clumps form. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a wooden spoon, leaving a bit of texture.
- In another large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and gently stir in pecans.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups halfway with batter.
- Evenly distribute the pecan-crumb topping over the muffin batter.
- Bake muffins for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool on wire rack for a few minutes.