National Soup Swap Day Jan 19 Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup
This Slow Cooker Creamy Ham and Potato Soup is hearty, delicious, and easy to make. Comfort food that is loaded with ham, potatoes, and veggies all slow cooked in a tasty and creamy broth.
- 2 1/2 lbs russett potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6-7 medium potatoes)
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups diced cooked ham cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 12 oz pkg of frozen crinkle cut carrots
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (low-fat is good, also but don’t use fat-free)
- bacon bits sliced green onion, and cheese are optional toppings
Place the potatoes, onion, garlic, ham, thyme, and rosemary in the slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth over. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Check at the lower time to see if the potatoes are cooked through. Some crock pots cook faster than other.
Take about half of the soup out and place in blender (I try not to get the ham but some pieces get in the blender) and blend till smooth. You can also use an immersion blender. This helps the soup gain some thickness plus makes it creamier. If you do use the blender, be sure to only fill it halfway or you will have an explosion and a mess! Return the mashed potatoes to the crock pot, stirring them in to thicken the broth.
Stir in the softened cream cheese until melted, then add frozen carrots and cook on high for 30 more minutes.
Taste for seasoning and serve. Garnish with bacon bits, sliced green onion and cheese, if desired.