Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti are a chocolate and coffee lovers dream. The crisp twice-baked cookie is filled with delicious bittersweet chocolate and toasted hazelnuts. A perfect cookie to dunk into your coffee.
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts chopped*
- 4 oz Divine Chocolates bittersweet chocolate chopped**
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. If you do not have either of those, simply spray the baking sheet lightly with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer (or use a stand mixer) on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar and combine well.
Add the baking powder and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl as needed.
Add in the eggs and beat until combined.
Add in the cocoa powder and blend well, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Add in the flour using the mixer, a little at a time.
Using a wooden spoon, fold in the hazelnuts and 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate with a wooden spoon.
Divide dough in half and shape each portion into a 9-inch-long roll. Place rolls 4 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet; slightly flatten each roll to 2 1/2 inches wide.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet for 45 minutes (yes this long so that that chocolate has a chance to harden slightly. It will make it easier to cut the rolls into slices.)
Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
Cut each roll diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices, slicing carefully using a serrated knife. Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheet.
Bake in 325 degree oven for 14 – 18 minutes, turning the slices over halfway between cooking time. You want the biscotti to be dry and crisp. I like to take mine out of the oven after 16 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to wire racks and let cool.
* I buy hazelnuts that are already toasted and chopped but if you can’t find those, you can toast your own. To toast nuts, spread them in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until nuts are slightly golden brown, stirring a couple of times. Wrap warm nuts in a clean kitchen towel. Rub nuts in towel to remove any loose skins; cool completely. Chop nuts and use in recipe as directed.
** Divine Chocolate bar of bittersweet chocolate is a 5.3 ounce bar. I used all but 8 little squares of it in this recipe. If you want extra chocolate chunks, use the full bar chopped.