Sweet and Sour Meatballs
These sweet and sour meatballs are tender, perfectly seasoned, and cooked in a tangy sauce with bell peppers, onions, and pineapples. Whether you serve this as a main dish over rice or as a wonderful appetizer on game day or at a potluck, it will quickly become a favorite.
- 1 lb lean ground beef I use Laura's Lean Ground Beef
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup oatmeal or Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup diced fresh basil chiffionade the basil and then chop into smaller pieces
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers red, yellow, orange and green
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks in juice including the juice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbls cider vinegar
- 4 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
For the Sauce:
In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, ketchup, water, cider vinegar, and Worchestershire sauce.
Add the bell peppers, onion, and pineapple chunks and stir to combine.
Pour over the meatballs.
Bake for one hour uncovered. Serve over rice.