Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken
This easy-to-create comfort food chicken dish is slow cooked with fire-roasted tomatoes, zucchini, and beans. Definitely great on it's own since it comes out like a hearty chicken vegetable soup but also great over rice or noodles.
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 -4 breasts)
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 1/2 each green and red bell peppers
- 1 medium zucchini diced (about 1 1/2 cups when diced)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans 15 oz each Hunt's Diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes (do not drain)
- 11/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for topping (chopped)
Spray crockpot with non-stick spray (helps with clean-up).
Place chicken breasts on bottom of crockpot, in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
Layer the onion, bell peppers, and zucchini on top of chicken.
Sprinkle the minced garlic over the vegetables.
Layer the cannellini beans over the garlic.
Top with the two cans of fire-roasted tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Add additional pepper, if desired. I don't add extra salt.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken when it's done, if desired and give it all a good stir. Serve with fresh basil on top, if desired. You can leave the chicken breasts whole, if desired and serve that way.
Serve over rice or as is.