Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup
This slow cooker creamy potato soup is pure comfort food, especially when the weather turns cold. The soup is creamy, thick, robust, and is simple to prepare.
- 2 ½ lbs about 6-7 medium potatoes russet potatoes washed and unpeeled.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 – 5 cups chicken unsalted stock
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (low-fat is good, also but don’t use fat-free)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional soup topping: crumbled bacon shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream
Dice unpeeled potatoes into about ½ inch cubes. You can peel a couple of the potatoes if you wish.
Add potatoes, onion, garlic, salt & pepper, and chicken stock to slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6 – 7 hours, or until potatoes are fork tender. Check at the 4 hour mark if you know crockpot cooks faster.
Add the softened cream cheese and stir until melted into soup.
Puree soup by removing about half of the soup into a blender or use an immersion blender until the about half the soup is blended. If using the blender, once you puree half of the soup, add it back into the slow cooker and stir well.
Serve with your favorite soup toppings.