Homemade Chunky Marinara Sauce
This Homemade Chunky Marinara Sauce is busting with flavors from the tomatoes, garlic, fresh herbs, and vegetables. It's simple to make and perfect over pasta with our without a meat sauce. I think it was even better the second day! You can freeze the sauce, too.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium carrots diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 red pepper flakes depending on your tastes
- 1 can 28 oz Hunt's tomato sauce puree
- 1 can 28 oz Hunt's crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat and add the carrots, celery and onions, and cook until soft and translucent, about 8 - 10 minutes. Give it a stir occasionally.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add in the oregano, red pepper flakes, tomato puree, crushed tomatoes and liquid,and add salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Add the chopped basil and let simmer another 30 minutes.
Serve over pasta and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.