Meatless Monday - Veggie Pasta Bake
I enjoy making this Meatless Veggie Pasta Bake because it's so easy to change up the vegetables. Don't have (or like) yellow squash? Use zucchini, bell peppers, or any other vegetable in place of the squash. Change up the pasta too, I don't always have ziti on hand so I use whatever I have in the pantry. For those of you who aren't fond of meatless (like my husband), you can easily add cooked ground beef or sausage, chicken, or smoked sausage. My kind of meal - simple and adaptable for everyone.
- 12 oz. ziti pasta uncooked (12 oz. = 5 cups)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 - 3 medium yellow summer squash cut into 1/4 inch slices and quartered
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 can 24 oz. each Hunt's® Chunky Vegetable Pasta Sauce
- 10 oz. Alfredo sauce use a little more than half of a 16 oz. jar
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese reserve half for the top of the casserole
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt.
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add squash, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender and starting to brown, stirring frequently.
Stir in both sauces and let it get hot, about 1 minute; stirring occasionally.
Add the cooked pasta and 1 cup cheese to vegetable mixture; mix lightly.
Stir in the fresh spinach and let it just begin to wilt.
Spoon into prepared dish; top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 20 – 30 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture is hot.