30 Minute Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
This healthy 30 minute Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup is creamy, perfectly spiced, and is easy to make. The soup can be made on the stove top, or even quicker in the Instant Pot. Need longer cooking times? Slow cook the carrot soup in the crock pot.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups vegetable stock, preferable organic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
Stove - Top Directions
Heat olive oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and bell pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables become soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
Add vegetable broth, minced ginger, and thyme leaves and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the carrots are fork tender, approximately 10-15 minutes. Stir once or twice while cooking.
Remove from heat and puree mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. (A regular blender or food processor can also be used for this step). Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.Return to medium heat and add coconut milk. Stir until barely combined and cook until heated through, approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Instant Pot Method
Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, saute the onion, carrots, garlic, and bell peppers. Add the ginger and let saute another minute.
Add the vegetable stock and thyme to the Instant Pot. Cover and cook on Manual High Pressure for 9 minutes. Then, carefully release the quick-release pressure valve and open the lid. Blend with immersion blender (or use the blender method listed in this post), stir in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
- This recipe can be made on the stove-top, in a slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Replace the coconut milk for heavy cream if you aren't a fan of coconut milk for care if the soup is vegan.
- Chicken broth can be used in place of vegetable stock.
- Fresh carrots work best in this recipe
- To freeze the carrot ginger soup, allow soup to cool and place in freezer-safe containers and freeze. The coconut milk may separate a little but it will blend in well once heated. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Make ahead tips: can make the soup 1-2 days ahead but don't add the coconut milk until you're heating the soup up.
- Be careful when using hot liquids in a blender, filling the blender only halfway. Puree in small batches. Carefully hold the lid down with a clean kitchen towel, lifting it occasionally to release the steam. Omitting this could cause the top to blow off the blender and send hot liquid spraying everywhere and on you.