This Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup is hearty, delicious, and easy to make. Comfort food that is loaded with ham, potatoes, and veggies all slow cooked in a tasty and creamy broth.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. It does not change the price you pay. , I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too.
Did you know that today is National Soup Swap Day? I’m joining a few awesome bloggers to share some delicious soup recipes. Be sure to check them all out. Links are at the end of this post.
I am a soup person. It’s true, I can eat soup every day, all year and be happy. Even when it’s the middle of the summer and the temperatures are in the 100’s, soup is good with me. I’m very partial to tomato and butternut squash soups, but this slow cooker creamy potato and ham soup is my favorite when I want something more hearty than tomato soup.
This soup has it all for me, ham, vegetables, and a creamy rich broth. Comfort food. Give me a bowl of this soup and some crusty bread to dip with, and I’m in heaven.
Using my new crock pot, makes this soup even easier to cook so that dinner is ready when we get home in the evening. This recipe is pretty much a “dump and go” where you add all the ingredients except for the frozen carrots, and cream cheese and let it do its thing for a few hours. Them about 30 – 45 minutes before it’s ready, you’ll add the frozen carrots and cream cheese.
Tips to make this soup
Leftover ham is great to use in this recipe, but if you don’t have any on hand you can grab a ham steak from the grocery store. I’ve even asked guy at the deli to cut a couple of one inch thick pieces of deli ham and use that.
Be sure to keep those potato cuts small and even so they cook evenly. Nothing worse than biting into a potato chunk that isn’t fully cooked. You can add diced fresh carrots with the potatoes, if you don’t have the frozen ones. Just be sure your cuts are the same size as the potatoes.
Fresh herbs are really wonderful in this soup, but if you prefer to use dried, remember that you’ll use less of each herb (thyme and rosemary). Dried spices are generally more potent and concentrated than fresh. The ratio is about 1 tablespoon of fresh to 1 teaspoon dried.
When the soup is just about done, you will take about half of the soup out and place it in a blender (I try not to get the ham but some pieces get in the blender) and blend till smooth. You can also use an immersion blender. This helps the soup gain some thickness plus makes it creamier. If you do use the blender, be sure to only fill it halfway or you will have an explosion and a mess!
National Soup Swap Day Jan 19 Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup
- 2 1/2 lbs russett potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6-7 medium potatoes)
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups diced cooked ham cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 12 oz pkg of frozen crinkle cut carrots
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (low-fat is good, also but don’t use fat-free)
- bacon bits sliced green onion, and cheese are optional toppings
- Place the potatoes, onion, garlic, ham, thyme, and rosemary in the slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth over. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Check at the lower time to see if the potatoes are cooked through. Some crock pots cook faster than other.
- Take about half of the soup out and place in blender (I try not to get the ham but some pieces get in the blender) and blend till smooth. You can also use an immersion blender. This helps the soup gain some thickness plus makes it creamier. If you do use the blender, be sure to only fill it halfway or you will have an explosion and a mess! Return the mashed potatoes to the crock pot, stirring them in to thicken the broth.
- Stir in the softened cream cheese until melted, then add frozen carrots and cook on high for 30 more minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and serve. Garnish with bacon bits, sliced green onion and cheese, if desired.
Some of my favorite “tried and true” items used in this recipe:
National Soup Swap Day Recipes
Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Soup by Kate’s Recipe Box
Beef Noodle Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Black Bean Soup with Bacon by Food Above Gold
Chicken Pot Pie Soup by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Cod Chowder with Bacon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
French Onion Soup by The Redhead Baker
German Goulash Soup by Savory Moments
Healthy Crockpot Split Pea Soup by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Palatable Pastime
Italian Asiago Artichoke Ham & Bean Soup by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Italian Wedding Soup by Cooking For My Soul
Parsnip Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Slow Cooker Beef and Barley by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup by Blogghetti
Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder by Everyday Eileen
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
Stuffed Pepper Meatball Soup by Tip Garden
Vegan Thai Roasted Carrot Soup by The Baking Fairy
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!