This week has been one appointment after another and I am thankful that each one went well. That being said, let me tell you, again, just how much I love my crockpot. It is a life (or dinner) saver for sure! Monday was leftover Taco Chicken in the Crockpot served over rice. I was super glad I had frozen the leftovers! Tuesday was, of course, tacos with my Homemade Taco Seasoning that I had already made. It wasn’t a crockpot meal but it was fast! Good thing too because we were busy putting a new light up in the kitchen and it was nearly 7:30 before I realized we hadn’t eaten.
Wednesday was this Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken and it made enough for leftovers for today as well! This easy-to-create comfort food chicken dish is slow cooked with fire-roasted tomatoes, zucchini, and beans. Definitely great on it’s own since it comes out like a hearty chicken vegetable soup but also great over rice or noodles.
There is something about fire-roasted tomatoes in this recipe (any recipe, to be honest) that just makes this meal come alive. The tomatoes are roasted over an open flame to bring out their natural sweetness and adds a subtle smokiness. Perfection. I tend to use fire-roasted tomatoes in nearly every recipe that calls for diced tomatoes- that’s how much I love them.
I can get a bit excited over little things such as these tomatoes but you should see me in the produce aisle at the grocery store! I love seeing all of the wonderful, colorful, and FRESH fruits and vegetables!
I love this Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken, not only because it keep my house cooler in the dead of summer (no stove or oven use) or for the ease of using my crockpot; but because I can get two meals out of this recipe. I often will shred the chicken and serve over rice or noodles. If you’re short on time, leave the chicken in whole pieces and serve that way either over rice or noodles or as is. That’s meal #1!
Meal #2 of this simple and delicious Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken can be serve as a soup the next day or freeze for another time when you need a quick meal. Cook up some Ditali pasta (or your favorite soup pasta) and add it to the reheated leftovers; serve with some crusty bread for soaking up all of the yummy tomato broth and it’s a meal! You many need to add a bit of chicken broth if you find there isn’t enough broth for your liking.
Just look at all of the goodness on that plate!
This recipe is super simple – layer your ingredients by starting with the chicken on the bottom of your crockpot. Then add your vegetables and garlic, beans, and top with the tomatoes and Italian seasoning.
How easy is that?!?! I mean, yes, you can just dump it all in there too but I like seeing all of the colorful layers. Once it’s slow cooked to perfection, give it all a good stir and shred the chicken – or not. Totally your choice.
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 -4 breasts)
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- ½ each green and red bell peppers
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (about 1½ cups when diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans (15 oz each) Hunt's Diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes (do not drain)
- 11/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil, for topping (chopped)
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray (helps with clean-up).
- Place chicken breasts on bottom of crockpot, in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the onion, bell peppers, and zucchini on top of chicken.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic over the vegetables.
- Layer the cannellini beans over the garlic.
- Top with the two cans of fire-roasted tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Add additional pepper, if desired. I don't add extra salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken when it's done, if desired and give it all a good stir. Serve with fresh basil on top, if desired. You can leave the chicken breasts whole, if desired and serve that way.
- Serve over rice or as is.
In case you are short on time and need dinner on the table fast, you may enjoy this One Skillet Tuscan Chicken recipe. Prep time is minimal and cook time is under 30 minutes!