Take advantage of the summer’s fresh cucumbers and tomatoes and put together this simple and delicious Cucumber Tomato Salad. There are endless ways to customize this summer salad but I am partial to the basic recipe as I feel it brings out the flavors of the vegetables without a heavy dressing or to many other seasonings. With the temperatures staying near and in the 100’s here, this salad is a blessing as it requires no cooking whatsoever and that makes me a happy girl! It makes a perfect Meatless Monday lunch but if you love it as much as I do, then it’s great for your lunch every day or with dinner any night of the week.
I grew up on a creamy version of cucumber and onion salad with the sour cream dressing and could eat that all day, every day but as an adult, I know sour cream isn’t the best dressing for any salad in large quantities. I made a lighter version of the salad here and used the dressing in this recipe as well. The tomatoes in this salad are of the heirloom variety but any kind of tomato is wonderful in this salad. The Italian seasoning goes well with the tomatoes and light oil and red wine vinegar dressing gives a little zing to the salad. It’s perfect.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced very thin
- ¼ cup of a good olive oil
- ¼ cup of red-wine vinegar
- garlic powder, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3-4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- add salt to taste, if you feel the need to (I never do)
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Chill for at least 20 – 30 minutes before serving.