When the weather turns cooler, I get in the baking mood. The good thing about this is that I don’t care to eat a lot of sweets when I go through these marathon baking moments; however, my family is totally on board with snacking on them. Everyone wins!
As for snacking, popcorn is my go-to snack of choice. Give me a bowl of popcorn (lightly salted) with Parmesan cheese sprinkled over it any day of the week. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fluffy white stuff with buttered drizzled all over it as well but I try to keep balance saving that for the movies only. Besides, that movie theater popcorn has to be like crack – I could eat tons of it even after a huge dinner! But I don’t. Sigh.
I picked up some SkinnyPop popcorn at the store the other day thinking it would be perfect for binge watching the new season of Longmire on Netflix. SkinnyPop (original) is oh-so-good, my friends! It’s perfect the way it is – right out the bag – lightly salted as I like it. Right on their bag they state, “Pure Popped Perfection™” – well that just says it all. Plus it’s guilt-free snacking! I’ve tried a few of the flavors and the Original and White Cheddar are my favorites.
Back to binge watching Longmire; I was so into watching it that I forgot about the popcorn! So, I decided to take the SkinnyPop popcorn and get a bit creative with it. I had just bought some candy corn and Reese’s Pieces candy to add into cookies but I wasn’t feeling the whole “turn the oven on” thing so I turned to an easy recipe for popcorn balls.
Grabbing a bag of marshmallows, the candy, and the SkinnyPop popcorn I set off to turn it all into popcorn balls. To add to the Halloween theme, I pushed candy eyes into the popcorn balls. I choose to not combine both candies into one batch because it would be way too sweet. Instead, I divided the popcorn-marshmallow mixture in half and then mixed in the candy corn in one half and the Reese’s in the other. From start to finish this took 15 minutes and then I let the popcorn balls set to cool and harden for about an hour. They didn’t last long in the house once they were “released” for snacking.
These Halloween Popcorn Balls are a great Halloween treat. It’s a simple marshmallow popcorn recipe filled with candy corn and Reese’s Pieces with the perfect amount of gooeyness and sweetness. The candy corn and Reese’s Pieces add the perfect Halloween colors, too.
- 10 cups of SkinnyPop Original Popcorn (you will only need one bag - there will be a bit leftover)
- 1 bag (10 oz) regular marshmallows
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (half of a stick)
- ½ - ¾ cup EACH of candy corn and Reese's Pieces
- candy eyes
- Wax paper
- non-stick spray
- Place a sheet of wax paper on a large baking sheet or on your counter.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat
- When butter is melted, add the whole bag of marshmallows. Stir until melted completely. Remove pan from heat.
- Get out the largest bowl you own and pour in the 10 cups of popcorn. Then pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn so that it totally coats the popcorn.
- Divide the popcorn mixture in half, placing half in another bowl (doesn't have to be as large).
- Mix in the candy corn in one half of the popcorn and the Reese's in the other.
- Spray your hands with the non-stick spray (lightly).
- Form the popcorn mixture into balls, the size is up to you. Press in some eyes all over the popcorn.
- Let set on wax paper until cooled and firm. Enjoy!
Pin this image to save!