This post was originally published on July 16, 2011, and now has been edited and updated.
- 12 small potatoes, red or russet (or enough to feed your family)
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 3-4 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub the potatoes clean.
- Fill a large pot with water and add the potatoes. Boil them until tender all the way through. Drain.
- Make an X cut on the top of each potato for easier smashing.
- Use a potato masher (a fork will work as well) and gently press on each potato until mashed but not obliterated.
- You want them to stay together somewhat. If they fall apart, have no worries! Just press them together into piles.
- Once smashed, generously sprinkle salt and pepper over each potato.
- Follow with drizzling olive oil over each potato.
- Sprinkle each potato with freshly chopped rosemary.
- Bake the potatoes at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, longer is better as long as they’re not burning. You want them to crisp up in the oven.
- Use an appetizer by omitting the rosemary and adding bacon bits, shredded cheese and sour cream.
Recipe originally published on Blogghetti July 16, 2011.
Pin this recipe!