This post was originally published on July 16, 2011, and now has been edited and updated.
Smashed Roasted Potatoes
- 12 small potatoes red or russet (or enough to feed your family)
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 3-4 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub the potatoes clean.
- Fill a large pot with water and add the potatoes. Boil them until tender all the way through. Drain.
- Make an X cut on the top of each potato for easier smashing.
- Use a potato masher (a fork will work as well) and gently press on each potato until mashed but not obliterated.
- You want them to stay together somewhat. If they fall apart, have no worries! Just press them together into piles.
- Once smashed, generously sprinkle salt and pepper over each potato.
- Follow with drizzling olive oil over each potato.
- Sprinkle each potato with freshly chopped rosemary.
- Bake the potatoes at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, longer is better as long as they’re not burning. You want them to crisp up in the oven.
- Use an appetizer by omitting the rosemary and adding bacon bits, shredded cheese and sour cream.
“Blogghetti” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Recipe originally published on Blogghetti July 16, 2011.
Pin this recipe!