This slow cooker creamy potato soup is pure comfort food, especially when the weather turns cold. The soup is creamy, thick, robust, and is simple to prepare.
I’m just going to put this out there – I’m addicted to potato soup. I wish it was a soup that you could eat every day, all day with no bad effects, you know – weight gain, etc. It’s not, sigh. All things in moderation – as the saying goes. I just made a huge slow cooker full of this recipe and I knew if I hung onto the leftovers, I would be eating it all. I sent most of the soup home with the kids and they ate it all for me. Nice of them, huh? I thought so too.
I’m going to warn you of two things with this soup – first, it has a lot of garlic, typically when I make this potato soup, I only use 2 cloves of garlic. I wanted to bump up that flavor, so I used just doubled that. If you’re not a garlic lover, adjust as necessary, however I’m telling you that it’s good with all of that garlic!
The second thing about this delicious slow cooker potato soup is that there is no heavy cream in the recipe. I chose to use cream cheese mainly because I didn’t have heavy cream; which is rarely in my house anyway. The other reason to use cream cheese is that, in my opinion, it makes cream-based soups more creamy. This soup reminds me of Panera Bread’s potato soup.
One major tip about using slow cookers for any recipe: try very hard not to lift the lid unless you absolutely have to because each time you do, you are decreasing the temperature. You will need to add 15-20 minutes of cooking time each time you open that lid!
I use unsalted chicken stock, it’s a personal preference. I want to control the salt and I can do so by adding it myself. You can use low-sodium stock (or broth) and if you prefer a vegetarian option, use vegetable stock (broth.)
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup
- 2 ½ lbs about 6-7 medium potatoes russet potatoes washed and unpeeled.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 – 5 cups chicken unsalted stock
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (low-fat is good, also but don’t use fat-free)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional soup topping: crumbled bacon shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream
- Dice unpeeled potatoes into about ½ inch cubes. You can peel a couple of the potatoes if you wish.
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, salt & pepper, and chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 – 7 hours, or until potatoes are fork tender. Check at the 4 hour mark if you know crockpot cooks faster.
- Add the softened cream cheese and stir until melted into soup.
- Puree soup by removing about half of the soup into a blender or use an immersion blender until the about half the soup is blended. If using the blender, once you puree half of the soup, add it back into the slow cooker and stir well.
- Serve with your favorite soup toppings.
If you try this recipe, please use the hashtag, #Blogghetti on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!