Slow Cooker Calico Baked Beans are the perfect side to make for your next BBQ or cookout. This bean dish is easily made with ground beef, three different kinds of beans, and bacon all slow cooked to meld the flavors to perfection.
I just love BBQ season! We can cookout most of the year here, but when the summer rolls around it seems like we are grilling out nearly every day. So many reasons we do – the flavors of the food seem to taste better on the grill, easier cleanup, and the sides that you can make to go along with that BBQ chicken or grilled burger are all amazing.
This week is #BBQWeek for our Festive Foodies Blogger Facebook group and we are bringing you tons of new recipes to dish up this summer. I’ll be posting three new recipes this week and below each will be the list of everyone’s posts for that day. Be sure to check them all out.
My first recipe is a delicious slow cooker side dish that will be perfect for anything you are grilling up. It’s baked beans with hamburger and bacon in the crock pot – simple ingredients slow cooked to perfection. The recipe is from my wonderful brother-in-law and I first had it a few years ago at a family cookout. The thing that impressed me the most is that every ingredient that is in this calico bean casserole is something I always have in the pantry and refrigerator/freezer. Can’t get easier than that.
How to Make Slow Cooker Calico Baked Beans
This couldn’t be a simpler recipe. Grab that slow cooker, dump all the ingredients in, and turn it on low for a few hours and done. That being said, you do have to use a skillet to brown the ground beef and to saute the onion.
I use the same skillet to fry up the bacon, unless you are using precooked bacon – which there is no judgement from me! I use it often. Feel free to use turkey bacon.
Grocery shopping being what it is these days with the virus thing, I did have to substitute the Lima Beans with cannellini beans as my grocery store was clean out of canned butter beans and lima beans – even the frozen kind. That was the only ingredient I didn’t have at the house but I always have cannellini beans on hand.
Once you have everything combined in the slow cooker, turn it on low for 3-5 hours. Then, enjoy! You may want to serve my sister-in-law’s slow cooker mac and cheese with this, too.
Slow Cooker Calico Baked Beans
- 8 oz bacon (10-12 slices)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 2 cans (15 oz each) pork and beans (do not drain)
- 2 cans (15 oz each) butter beans (or Lima beans), drain and rinsed *I used 2 cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (15 oz) light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a skillet, fry up the bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels and then chop cooked bacon into small pieces; set aside.
- Drain the grease from the skillet, and then brown the ground beef until it's just about cooked, add the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is softened and ground beef is cooked through. Drain off excess grease, if necessary.
- Add the ground beef and onion to slow cooker, along with the bacon.
- Add all the beans, ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, and vinegar to slow cooker. Give it all a good stir to combine, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and Cook on low for 3-5 hours. Serve.
Monday #BBQWeek Recipes
- Amazing Foil Packets On The Grill With Steak And Potatoes by Our Crafty Mom
- Bacon-Wrapped Brussels Sprouts by Sweet Beginnings
- Cherry Lime Margarita by Family Around the Table
- DIY Marzetti’s Slaw Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Crock Pot Pork Butt Pulled Pork by Intelligent Domestications
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pulled Pork by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Calico Baked Beans by Blogghetti
- Smoked BBQ Brisket by The Spiffy Cookie
- Smoked Pork Butt Tacos by Our Good Life
- Southwestern Mini Grilled Pork Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
- Sweet Chili-Lime Grilled Chicken by Making Miracles
- Winey Burgers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!