I have been making this recipe for many years. I tried several sugar cookies recipes and none hit the spot. Then my good friend, Kay made some and I tried one of hers and was in heaven! She shared her recipe with me and it is THE sugar cookie recipe for our family.
Every Christmas since my girls were toddlers we will spread out on the kitchen table with all the colored sugars, sprinkles and icings of many colors and have an awesome time decorating the cookies. Through the years, their designs seem to have remained the same but we have a blast. I take pictures every year and keep them…it’s a wonderful memory. As they have gotten older and on their own, they tend to drag their feet about it, but they still decorate them. I love it! I hope it will be a tradition they pass on to their children one day.
- 3¾ cups flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter (not margarine)
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Cream butter, sugar till creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well each time. With last egg add vanilla.
- Combine in a separate bowl, the flour, salt, baking powder and whisk to get any lumps out.
- Add dry ingredients slowly to butter and sugar mixture.Blend well.
- Chill one hour or longer (I usually do one hour. You can freeze the dough as well to use at a later time)
- Roll out onto floured board, the thicker the dough the softer the cookie.
- Cut out as desired and bake on slightly greased pan 8-10 min at 375 degrees.
- Decorate as desired.