Fall is my favorite season for many reasons, particularly for the cooler weather, the colors of the leaves, and of course – all things pumpkin. I mean there’s pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin muffins, and this mouth-watering glazed pumpkin-spice bread. It has all the flavors of pumpkin pie but in bread form. It does not last long in this house despite the fact the recipe makes TWO loaves! Gone in a flash!
I keep threatening to make the recipe double and freeze two loaves for myself. If you make the bread and want to freeze a loaf, freeze it without the glaze and add it later after you thaw the bread out. I also have changed up the sugar in the recipe with using part brown sugar and part white sugar. I love the rich dark color the brown sugar give breads like this. I also use half oil and half melted butter in place of the one cup of oil. I’ve tried it several ways and this is perfection for me. I have made this bread for years and after my Perfect Banana Bread, this is most requested and baked. I don’t even wait to the Fall to bake this, it’s made throughout the year.
For the Pumpkin Bread:
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
For the Spiced Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons almond milk or plain milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, pumpkin spice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, butter, water, sugars and vanilla until well blended.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Fold in walnuts with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the pumpkin bread is cooling, combine all of the ingredients for the spiced glaze.
- Drizzle over bread and allow the glaze to dry before serving.
- Adapted from Allrecipes