These baked tortillas are crispy on the outside and loaded with delicious breakfast foods on the inside. Scrambled egg and sausage taquitos are a quick and easy breakfast to prepare ahead of time for next day or for the freezer.
#BackToSchoolTreatsWeek is hosted by Terri from Love and Confections. All week bloggers will be sharing their best recipes for breakfasts, snacks, desserts, and treats. After the recipe today, check out what the others are linking up!
My next recipe for #BackToSchoolTreatsWeek is this simple, delicious, and fun breakfast taquito. Monday, I shared this recipe for sugar-free banana muffins that are easy to make and can be frozen. Just like the muffins, these scrambled egg and sausage taquitos can be made ahead of time and frozen for a quick reheatable breakfast.
Weekends in our house mean we gather for breakfast and it’s usually a big meal that will keep us full until dinner most times. We also like to have these breakfast tacos even for dinner. The thing I love about these breakfast tortilla wraps is that they are easy to prep and since it’s all cooked, it makes it even easier to freeze a few batches at a time.
How to make scrambled egg and sausage taquitos
When choosing sausage links for this recipe, use what your family likes. Pork or turkey sausage links are favorites in our house. Fully cook the sausages in a skillet or as we do, on the grill. Less mess for me to clean up!
Add whatever vegetables you like to the scrambled eggs. Bell peppers, onions, spinach, zucchini, or diced tomatoes are all great choices. As for cheeses, I like to use a nacho cheese blend of cheeses, but again use what you have or like.
Once you have the sausages and eggs cooked, heat up the tortilla shells for a few seconds in the microwave so they are pliable. For each tortilla shell, add a little cheese down the center of the shell, a sausage link and about two tablespoons of eggs. roll the shell up and place seam down on a baking sheet lined with foil.
Spray the tops of the shells lightly with non-stick spray (this will help the shells crisp up and brown) and bake for about 10 minutes. Serve with salsa for dipping, if desired.
To freeze: Let taquitos cool, then wrap each one in plastic wrap before freezing. They will also last in the fridge for 5 days. Reheat three at a time as a serving, microwaving for 3-4 minutes if frozen or 1-2 min if refrigerated.
Scrambled Egg and Sausage Taquitos
- 1 12 ounce package pork or turkey sausage links
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper (or whatever color you like)
- 1/3 cup diced onion (I used a red onion)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 6 inch flour (or corn) tortilla shells
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (use your favorite cheese, I used a nacho cheese blend)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a skillet, cook sausage till done, drain off grease and wipe out pan. OR, you can grill the sausages till they are cooked through.
- In skillet, add the butter and let heat on medium heat. Saute the bell peppers and onions until they are softened, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs and scrambled them until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Wrap the tortilla shells in a paper towel and place in microwave for about 35 seconds, just enough time to warm them so they are pliable.
- Layer a bit of the cheese down the middle of each tortilla, add about two tablespoons of scrambled eggs, and a sausage link. Roll up tortilla shell, place seam side down on baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the shells lightly with non-stick spray - this will help them crisp up and brown.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until crisp and brown. Serve with salsa if desired.
Banana Mango Overnight Oats by Palatable Pastime
Fried Egg Pouches by Our Good Life
PB&J Overnight Oats by Kate’s Recipe Box
Scrambled Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taquitos by Blogghetti
S’Mores Stuffed French Toast by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Other Easy Breakfast Ideas You May Enjoy
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!