Slow Cooker Broccoli and Sausage Mac n’ Cheese Casserole will become a family favorite quickly. This easy to make casserole is a flavorful one-pot meal using your favorite smoked sausage with fire-roasted tomatoes.
Lately, I have been using items that I have in the pantry, freezer, and refrigerator due to the current situation in the country. Using what you have on hand can be a challenge, and sometimes you make something that becomes a quick family favorite. This isn’t your ordinary slow cooker mac and cheese recipe. I’ve added fire-roasted tomatoes, smoked sausage and fresh broccoli to the cheesy pasta.
It’s a simple casserole that is high on flavor. Best part is you probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
Tips to make this slow cooker broccoli and sausage mac and cheese
I lightly sprayed my slow cooker with non-stick spray for easy clean-up. Cook the pasta al dente, or a couple of minutes less than the box suggests. This way the pasta won’t turn mushy while cooking in the slow cooker.
I always have fire-roasted tomatoes on hand but you use what you have. Regular diced tomatoes work well as do ones that have seasonings in them like oregano or mild chili peppers. Using fresh broccoli is best for this recipe, but if you only have frozen, add it in in the last 30 minutes so that it will heat through and not over cook.
As for the evaporated milk, I have not used anything to replace that but I imagine a little heavy cream or half and half would work in place of that. I use 1% milk, and you can use what you have on hand. Cheese – there isn’t any cheese that wouldn’t be good in this – again, use what you like or have. I used a sharp cheddar.
Make ahead tips
This is not an all day slow cooker recipe, so the two hour cooking time is perfect without having it overcook. This slow cooker broccoli and sausage mac n’ cheese casserole is easy to make when you come home from work and have a couple of hours before dinner. You can even prep the sausage and broccoli the night before as well as cook up the pasta then. Then when you come home from work, simply add all the ingredients into your slow cooker and let it do its thing.
Slow Cooker Broccoli and Sausage Mac n' Cheese Casserole
- 1 box (1 lb.) elbow noodles
- 1 pkg smoked sausage, sliced into one-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can (15 oz) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (13 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- Boil and drain the noodles according to package directions for al dente. You want to under cook the pasta so that it won't become mushy or overcook in the slow cooker.
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the elbow noodles into the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker and give it all a good stir.
- Turn slow cooker to low and cook for two hours. Serve and enjoy!
Tasty Tuesdays’ Link Party
Welcome to this week’s Tasty Tuesdays’ Link Party where we are dishing up the best recipes. Each week, food bloggers link up their very best and tasty recipes and we want you to join us! If you’re a food blogger, share your delicious recipes on the link party. Not a blogger? No worries, this party is for you, too. Why? Because, here you can find tasty dishes to add to your menus.
Let’s get the party started!
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Lisa from Blogghetti (Blog)**
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Thanks so much Lisa, and your broccoli mac looks amazing!
Your recipe looks amazing!!! I just found kielbasa at the grocery store the other day after looking for awhile. Hope you had a great Easter! Thank you for the party this week!