This Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole is easy to make and is loaded with sausage, cheese, green onion, and eggs. Great for a weekend breakfast or to take to a brunch gathering.
I really wanted to make a full-on big breakfast this past weekend but did not want the dishes from it. I had remembering reading a simple breakfast dish made in the oven in our local newspaper family section not too long ago. Without having the recipe handy to remember exact measurements, I wing it and it turned out so delicious!
Breakfast casseroles are really simple to make using your favorite ingredients or what you have on hand.
This took 10 minutes to prep and while the sausage was doing its thing in the skillet, the rest of the dish was prepped and ready to go. With 30 minutes cooking time, this dish would be a perfect to take to a brunch or have ready for your guests at a holiday breakfast gathering.
Making this Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole
You want to be sure to drain the grease from the sausage before you add it to the baking dish.
If you are a fan of crispy tator tots, turn the broiler on the last couple of minutes to toast those tators up a bit more.
Did I mention, that you can totally make this your own creation? Add cooked bacon or ham chunks in place of the sausage. Change out the cheese to your favorite and add chopped up veggies. Replace the white cheddar with pepper jack for a little more spice.
Be sure to check out more Easter Brunch ideas from my fellow #OurFamilyTable blogger friends below the recipe! You may also enjoy this Western Omelet Quiche or these Sausage Biscuit Dippers with White Gravy.
- 1 lb. breakfast hot sausage or use regualar flavored
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 green onions sliced (save some for garnish)
- 6 to 8 oz. sharp white cheddar shredded (about two cups)
- 1/2 of a 32 oz bag of frozen Tator Tots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brown sausage until cooked. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
- In prepared baking dish, layer sausage, eggs, one cup of shredded cheese, and the green onions (don't forget to save some for garnish).
- Top with tator tots.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tator tots are browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese and green onions.
- If desired, add salt and pepper to taste.
Easter Brunch Recipes
- Banana Bread Pancakes by Our Good Life
- Crescia al Formaggio (Italian Easter Bread) by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole by Blogghetti
- Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Overnight Eggs Benedict Casserole by Making Miracles
- Sheet Pan Pancakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs by Art of Natural Living
- Yeasted Waffles by That Recipe