Confession time: I have never made a baked egg dish before. Shocking, I know! I have no idea why because this was so easy and turned out delicious. I really wanted to make a full-on big breakfast this past weekend but did not want the dishes from it. I had remembering reading a simple breakfast dish made in the oven in our local newspaper family section not too long ago and it was time to cross off making “a baked egg dish” from the list of “gotta do”. I didn’t have the recipe to guide me but I recalled most of it easily enough.
This took 10 minutes to prep and while the sausage was doing its thing in the skillet, the rest of the dish was prepped and ready to go. With 30 minutes cooking time, this dish would be a perfect addition to your Christmas morning breakfast menu. Did I mention, that you can totally make this your own creation? Add cooked bacon or ham chunks in place of the sausage. Change out the cheese to your favorite and add chopped up veggies.
- 1 lb. breakfast hot sausage or use regualar flavored
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 green onions sliced (save some for garnish)
- 6 to 8 oz. sharp white cheddar shredded (about two cups)
- 1/2 of a 32 oz bag of frozen Tator Tots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brown sausage until cooked. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
- In prepared baking dish, layer sausage, eggs, one cup of shredded cheese, and the green onions (don't forget to save some for garnish).
- Top with tator tots.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tator tots are browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese and green onions.
- If desired, add salt and pepper to taste.