Zucchini burrito boats are so delicious and filling that you won’t even notice that they’re meatless. They are filled with your favorite salsa, black beans, and rice.
It’s been a while since I have posted a meatless Monday meal, but that doesn’t mean we haven’t been eating meatless on that day. It just means, I’ve been using older recipes or (yikes) we’ve been ordering cheese pizza when schedules are hectic. I’ll be honest – we’ve also had jarred marinara sauce over wheat pasta, too. One of our favorite meatless meals is this Creamy Tortellini and Spinach – before you tell me, it’s not healthy with the cream and all – let me just say this: I think we have this dish once every couple of months. All things in moderation plus there’s spinach in it – ha!
Anyway, back to this zucchini burrito boats recipe – it’s healthy, yummy, and you won’t even miss the meat! I wasn’t sure about that last one, but it’s true. I love this recipe not only because it is healthy, but it’s filled with spice and you can control the heat level. If you’re not a fan of black beans, use another bean (it’s great with white beans or kidney beans too.)
This went over so well that I plan on making more zucchini boat meals – I mean the green vegetable is the perfect vessel for stuffing.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
- 4 medium to large zucchini
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup salsa (use the heat level of your choice)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powde
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (your choice, I used a nacho and taco spiced cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- If you need to, cook one cup of rice, according to the package directions. Brown rice would be great in this, too.
- Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise, using a teaspoon, hollow out the center of each – be sure not to go too deep as you want to leave some of the zucchini center there. Lightly brush the tops with olive oil (you don’t need very much; then place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and then add the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn, black beans, salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir all the ingredients together and continue to cook for about 5 – 10 minutes – until heated through.
- Once heated, turn off the heat and add in the rice and combine.
- Spoon the burrito filling inside of each zucchini until they are full. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil and set the oven to broil. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the zucchini boats and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese melted.
- Let your zucchini boats cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Recipe inspired and adapted from Embellishmints
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #Blogghetti on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!