This family favorite Creamy Tortellini and Spinach meal is perfect for your Meatless Mondays. It’s filled with cheesy tortellini, spinach and fresh herbs and a spicy creamy sauce that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Who doesn’t love a good pasta dish? I know my family does and this one does not disappoint! I haven’t posted a Meatless Monday meal in awhile so I pulled this one from the recipe box and got it on the table – in under 30 minutes! I’ll admit, we’ve made this one with sausage, turkey kielbasa, ground beef (and turkey) and chicken so it’s the perfect recipe to adapt to whatever you’re in the mood for. Can’t do the spice? Substitute the can of tomatoes with green chilies for a can of plain diced tomatoes and omit the red pepper flakes.
I totally had forgotten about this one until someone mentioned they saw it on my Instagram and would like the recipe. Now, I want to make this one again!
- 1 (20 oz) pkg refrigerated, tri-colored, three cheese tortellini
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- dash red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups milk (2% is what I used - skim will not work well)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 (14.5 oz) Red Gold petite diced tomatoes w/ green chilies (undrained)
- 1½ cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Cook tortellini according to directions listed on package. Drain and keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Then add garlic and red pepper flakes and let cook for 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cream and whisk until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer, then add tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until sauce has thickened and spinach has wilted.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Toss prepared tortellini into sauce mixture.
- Serve immediately and top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
Other Meatless Monday recipes you may like: