Slow Cooker BBQ Green Beans are sweet and tangy, easy to make, and perfect for cookouts or as a side with your weeknight dinner.
Baked beans are a staple at many BBQs and cookouts and while I love them, sometimes I want to change it up. These slow cooker BBQ green beans are kind of a cousin to baked beans. They’re slow cooked in a tangy and sweet sauce with bacon.
Totally a game changer.
I’m sharing the recipe as part of #BBQWeek with my fellow #FestiveFoodie Facebook group. All week we are sharing plenty of new recipes to get your summer off to a great start, at least with the food. Be sure to check out all of the recipes this week, which will all appear at the end of my posts each day.
I am not a canned veggie kind of gal. Probably because that’s all I grew up with and just don’t care for the taste of them all that much. That being said, I do use canned French style green beans to make that ever classic green bean casserole, and I will use canned tomatoes. I guess I am just selective! Ha!
So, I am using fresh green beans for this recipe but by all means canned are perfectly delicious in this recipe too. The first time I had this dish, it was made with canned and it was amazing.
This green beans with bacon recipe is so easy to make. Use your favorite BBQ sauce, spicy or not. Smoky or sweet. Leave the bacon out or not. Add leftover ham in place of the bacon or pulled pork to make it a meal.
This week I will be sharing these recipes:
- Grilled Pineapple with Maple Syrup Glaze (Monday’s recipe)
- Deviled Egg Pasta Salad (Tuesday’s recipe)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Green Beans with Bacon (that’s todays recipe)
- Grilled Ham Steak with Honey Mustard (Thursday’s recipe)
- Glaze Grilled Strawberry Shortcake (Friday’s recipe)
- fresh green beans
- BBQ sauce
In a large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Heat 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Place green beans and onions in slow cooker.
Then pour BBQ ketchup mixture over them.
Mix everything together until incorporated, then top with crumbled bacon.
Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours.
Slow Cooker BBQ Green Beans
- slow cooker
- 6 – 8 cups fresh green beans, ends snipped. Cut larger beans in half. (OR you can use 4 (14.5 oz.) cans green beans, rinsed and drained)
- 8 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings (OR 2 tablespoons butter)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened.. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Place green beans and onions in slow cooker. Then pour BBQ ketchup mixture over them.
- Mix everything together until incorporated, then top with crumbled bacon
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours.
More BBQ Beans to Enjoy
- Slow Cooker Calico Baked Beans – totally a meal but great to bring to a potluck or cookout
- Easy Baked Beans – our house favorite for a quick and flavorful baked bean
- Cowboy Beans – 30 minutes to a delicious side dish
Wednesday #BBQWeek Recipes
Appetizers and Drinks
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Corn by Making Miracles
- Cowboy Beans by Devour Dinner
- Creamy Coleslaw Recipe by SueBee Homemaker
- Grilled French Fries by Palatable Pastime
- Memphis-Style Coleslaw by House of Nash Eats
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker BBQ Green Beans with Bacon by Blogghetti
- Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bacon and Cheddar Smash Burgers by Family Around the Table
- Easy Smoked Ribs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Greek Chicken Pita Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- The Best Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grilled Banana Bread with Vanilla Ice Cream and Homemade Caramel Sauce by Our Good Life
- Magic Chocolate Walnut Fudge by The Spiffy Cookie
- Old Fashioned Whoopie Pies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Stay connected for the latest recipes
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #Blogghetti on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!