Grab a fork and plate for a serving or two of Donna’s Chicken Divan casserole and you’re sure to have it become a family favorite. With the addition of rice, this casserole is hearty enough for a main meal any night of the week.
Chicken Divan. Probably the most made casserole in America and has been since the 1950’s. There are as many variations to this American classic as there are meatloaf recipes. Casseroles are by far the easiest main meal dishes as all the ingredients are all layered into a casserole or baking dish. So versatile are casseroles, you can add just about anything in the pantry and refrigerator and you’ve got a meal in a dish!
This is Donna’s, my wonderful Mother-in-law’s, recipe and it’s a must make for everyone. The original recipe she gave me doesn’t have rice but she always adds it as do I. I just add a bit more of some of the ingredients to keep it all moist. It is the most requested meal at her house when all of the family gets together.
In fact, a visit there without this meal is unheard of! Double it and it feeds an army, which is what we are when all get together at her house every year for Thanksgiving. In years past, a typical gathering would have included over 25 for the holiday. It’s no wonder she makes this when we come as it’s easy and it will feed many. In my house, it’s perfect to make with leftover chicken or turkey.
Tips to Make Donna’s Chicken Divan:
Donna's Chicken Divan
- 6 cups cooked, cut up chicken breasts (appox. 4 or 5 chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
- 1 (16 oz. to 20 oz.) pkg. frozen broccoli, cooked and drained (can steam fresh broccoli to use)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (do not add water)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place rice on bottom of baking dish, spread out in an even layer.
- Add the broccoli on top of the rice, spread out in an even layer.
- Next, add the shredded chicken evenly over the broccoli.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the soup, mayo, milk, salt and pepper and lemon juice. Pour evenly over the casserole ingredients.
- Top with a layer of cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over the cheese layer.
- Bake for an hour or until hot and bubbly. Allow casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
*post updated (October 28, 2019) from original with new images and content.