This is a yummy peanut butter cookie with chocolate chips lightly melted on top. I used to make them with the Hershey Kisses on top but one of my girls told me to try the chocolate chips and while, it does take a bit more time to top the cookies with them, it is a little bit of chocolate in every yummy bite.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- chocolate chips
- Mix first 3 ingredients together, then add the peanut butter, vanilla and egg. Beat well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt, whisk together.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well. Mix remaining flour mixture into batter.
- Roll dough into small one inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly with fork to make criss-cross pattern.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven till cookie is just about done - still kind of spongy - about 7 minutes.
- Pull sheet from oven and place 4 or 5 chocolate chips on top of each cookie, pressing very slightly. Bake for another 2 minutes.
- Tip - for just about any cookie recipe, you can add a slice of bread to the container of cookies to keep the cookies soft.
I roll mine in balls, instead of the traditional forking of the top to flatten them, and then I roll them in sugar before baking. When they come out they are domes, and when I lightly press the ‘kiss’ in the middle, they spread and crack lightly at the sides, but just enough to keep some crisp, but you dont lose the chewy inside for at least 3 or 4 days! Perfect!
That’s how I used to make them too and still do from time to time. I like the chips too because you get a piece of chocolate in every bite.