Roasting Green Beans with garlic and a bit of olive oil takes the vegetable to a whole new level and when topped with crunchy fried onions, they are the perfect side dish for any meal.
The first time I roasted green beans, it was like eating a new food to me. The beans just seemed to be fresher, crisper, and the flavor was just amazing. I seriously went on a roasting vegetable binge for a bit and now I rarely cook fresh vegetables any other way. Even frozen corn and corn-on-the-cob can be roasted! Green beans are my favorite though, as you can add in different seasonings or other vegetables such as tomatoes as I did here.
I was cleaning out the pantry and found a container of those fried onions that I must have used on green bean casserole or in a salad. I needed to use the little bit left up before they were stale, so this light bulb went off – add them to the green beans for dinner! Okay, it wasn’t as much as a light bulb went off as it was, “let’s just use them up” kind of thing. Well, it was the best idea of the day as the already fried onions were even better once they were browned a bit more in the oven with the beans. Simple and delicious. Indeed.
Roasted Green Beans with Fried Onions
- 1 pound green beans ends trimmed and washed
- 1 - 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder can use fresh minced garlic - 1 tsp
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup fried onion pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spread green beans on baking sheet
- Drizzle olive oil over beans
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Toss to coat the green beans with the oil and spices
- Cook in the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, until beans are just about tender crisp
- Add the fried onions on top of the green beans and give them a good stir.
- Cook in the oven for about 5 more minutes or until the onions are golden brown and the beans are tender crisp.