When I was first married my husband and I had to pinch our pennies as the salary of an airman didn’t go far. I learned to “doctor” up the store brands of various foods to give them flavor. We shopped at a grocery store that was called Price Chopper in Arkansas and their store brand came in white boxes with black lettering. One of the products, macaroni and cheese, was actually much better than the named brand! It’s been years since I have bought any brand of macaroni and cheese as I love making it from scratch now. There was also an off-brand of pork and beans that is still in the stores (Showboat®) that was like dirt cheap but they needed some help to taste better. Showboat® beans are the lower price end of the Bush’s Best® beans line.
Typically, we would have cookouts on the weekends with friends and I usually either brought my Creamy Potato Salad or these yummy baked beans. Baked beans just go with cookouts, it’s the perfect side dish for hamburgers, hot dogs, and goes with any other side dish on the menu. The simple additions brought the canned beans to life and have been requested at cookouts over the potato salad now.
Easy Baked Beans
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 tbsp bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 - 16 oz cans of pork and beans in tomato sauce drain some of the tomato sauce from cans
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, and reserve 3 tbsp of the bacon drippings. Drain the rest and crumble bacon. Set aside.
- Saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender.
- In a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, combine the 2 cans of pork and beans, onions, green peppers, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Mix well. Add crumbled bacon and mix again.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Let stand a few minutes and serve.
Debbie Ealer says
yummmmmy these look so much better then regular plain ones!! On my way!!
Miz Helen says
Your Baked Beans look delicious, Baked Beans and summer go together.
I really appreciate you sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great weekend!
Come Back Soon,