Busy schedules need more crock pot meals! I am winding down the semester, just a couple more weeks to go before finals so the rush is on to get it done. Thank goodness I’ll have a couple of months to get the brain cells to regenerate before my one summer class begins in July. This week, I’ve been trying to get everything ready for Easter, a care package to the daughter who’s getting ready for her finals, and keeping up with my own studies. With all of that, I don’t have the time (or brain cells) to be thinking “what’s for dinner” – I want it be ready when it’s dinner time!
This sticky chicken recipe is perfect over rice but this particular night I chose to roast up some red potatoes and saute some green beans with walnuts. Yes, I did say I needed dinner to be ready; however, the green beans cook up fast and the potatoes – I sort of cheated, they came from the frozen food section of the grocery store. They’re precooked and preseasoned with sea salt and pepper and all I do is toss them on a baking sheet and in the oven they go for about 20 minutes. It’s a no-brainer!
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce I use Sweet Baby Rays
- 1 cup apricot preserves peach would work too
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix do not mix with water
- 2 tbsp water
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. This makes for easy clean up.
- Place chicken breasts inside the crockpot.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce and preserves in a small bowl. Pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle the dry soup mix over the top and then sprinkle the water over the soup mix.
- Cover with the lid. Cook on low for 5 - 7 hours.
- Serve as I did with green beans with walnuts and balsamic and roasted potatoes or over rice is great too.Enjoy!
Lisa Schwenk says
Can the chicken breasts be frozen
Hi Lisa, I’ve never made it with frozen Chicken Breasts before and I wouldn’t recommended it. I have in the past used frozen chicken in other crock pot recipes with success, just added to the cooking time. With this recipe, adding cooking time may overcook the sauce and it could burn from the sugars in the preserves.
made this for the 2nd time, still awesome
So glad you are enjoying the recipe! Thanks!