This Firecracker Cake is perfect to make for Memorial Day and Fourth of July as it shows off the colors of the flag. It’s easy to do and tastes great!. It goes fast so you may want to set aside a slice for yourself.
- 1 box white cake mix
- Water vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- Red food color
- Blue food color
- 1 container white frosting
- Red White, and Blue sprinkles
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Generously grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan.
- Make cake batter as directed on box, using water, oil and egg whites.
- Pour 1 cup of the batter into small bowl; stir in red food color until well mixed.
- Pour another cup of the batter into separate bowl; stir in blue food color until well mixed.
- Pour red cake batter into bottom of pan.
- Carefully pour remaining white batter over red batter in pan.
- Carefully pour blue batter over white batter. (Blue batter does not need to cover white batter completely; it looks better if it just forms a ring in the center of the white batter.)
- Bake as directed on box or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake 5 minutes.
- Place cooling rack over cookie sheet. Turn pan upside down onto cooling rack. Cool cake completely, about 30 minutes.
- When cake is cool, divide frosting evenly into 3 microwavable bowls.
- Microwave 1 bowl of frosting uncovered on High a few seconds until smooth enough to drizzle over cake.
- With spoon, drizzle all of white frosting back and forth around cake in a striping pattern.
- Repeat microwaving second bowl of frosting until smooth.
- Stir in a few drops blue food color until well blended.
- Drizzle over cake, scattering frosting back and forth.
- Repeat with remaining bowl of frosting and red food color, making sure red, white and blue frostings can be seen on cake.
- Sprinkle Red, White, and Blue sprinkles on top of cake.
- Let cake stand at room temperature until frosting is set before serving.