Simple and delicious Honey Garlic Chicken that is baked, not fried and coated with a sweet, spicy, and garlicky sauce. Perfect for any night of the week.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you, but this Baked Honey Garlic Chicken recipe is addicting. We’ve been known to have it twice in a week! The sauce that coats the Panko crusted baked chicken nuggets is sweet, spicy, and garlicky – and addicting. I think the fact this you can bake this chicken and it comes out as if you fried it, it the second best reason to make this recipe. I hate frying, anything. It smells up the house for hours and no matter how much you thought you cleaned all of the splatters up, you’ll find them for days. I rarely fry anything. Even bacon (gasp!) has a very rare appearance for those reasons above.
So when I ran across this recipe in the “fried” format, I immediately said no. Nope. Not happening. But I kept thinking about it and said, “I need this chicken in my life” – I knew I needed to figure a way to get that same crispy texture and taste but from baking.
I love using Panko bread crumbs because they crisp up perfectly. I use them whenever breadcrumbs are called for now. I’ve even created a gluten-free version with Italian seasonings from brown rice cereal that is super delicious.
Here’s my tip for this recipe: I like to buy the chicken tender packs when they are on sale as they cook up faster than a whole chicken breast. They are perfect for this recipe, too. Simply cut in each one into the one-inch pieces or if you prefer you can just leave them uncut and use them in the recipe as is. Of course, a whole chicken breast is just as good to use as well.
Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts boneless and skinless cut into 1 inch pieces OR one 1 1/2 lbs of chicken tenderloins
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
For Honey Garlic Sauce:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 - 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce add more if you wish
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame seeds optional for garnish
- fresh chopped parsley optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- Make your breading station by having two shallow bowls ready. One for the Panko breadcrumbs and the other for the eggs.
- Season beaten eggs with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the eggs and toss to make sure each piece is fully coated in the egg mixture.
- Then coat each piece of chicken with breadcrumbs and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and slightly golden brown.
- While the chicken is cooking, add all the sauce ingredients to a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then turn down the heat and cook for a couple 5 more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, place in a large bowl and pour some of the sauce over chicken. Toss with a spoon so that the chicken pieces are fully coated with the sauce.
- If there's left over sauce, use for dipping.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and parsley, if desired.
- Serve with vegetables or over rice