This broccoli and cauliflower casserole can be served at holidays, potlucks, or any week night as a side dish for dinner. Heck, it can be dinner. It’s creamy, cheesy, and the buttery cracker topping gives it that crunch-factor. It’s a twist on the broccoli casserole with the cream of something soup and mayonnaise but without those ingredients. You won’t even miss them.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups fresh cauliflower florets cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half-n-half
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese divided
- 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers crushed, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place crackers into a gallon size resealable bag and crush with fingertips till they resemble small crumbs, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and cauliflower and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain into a colander, immediately rinse with cold water. Let drain for a minute or two and then place vegetables into a large bowl.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in the same pot you cooked the broccoli and cauliflower in over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cooked one more minute.
- Add the flour to the onions and garlic and whisk until smooth coooking for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the milk and half-n-half and simmer till thickened, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat - stir in sour cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce into the bowl with the broccoli and cauliflower and mix together.
- In a small bowl, combine the beaten egg, 1/2 cup of the shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of the Italian blend cheese, and 1/2 cup of the crackers crumbs. Add cheese mixture to broccoli and cauliflower and combine well.
- Transfer casserole to the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoon of butter and pour into the bag of remaining cracker crumbs - mix well. Add in the remaining 1/2 cup of the shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of the Italian blend cheese and mix into cracker crumbs. Sprinkle breadcrumb topping over the casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until filling is hot and bubbly. Check after about 30 minutes and cover with foil if topping is browning too quickly. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
- Inspired by Kristine's Kitchen
A very good recipe,
Used whipping cream in place of 1/2 n 1/2 Worked out wonderful
Love that…extra creaminess!