Do you have a Sonic Drive-In Restaurant in your town? I think there are like three in ours and if I think back to the other cities and towns we’ve lived in over the years, there were at least two or three in each. No matter what end of town you are on, you can rest easy when Sonic’s Happy Hours start to get your large drink for a buck and some change. The sign on their menu states there are over one million drink combinations – one million! What are your favorites? My daughter loves their Ocean Water drink and I’m partial to the cherry limeade and the cranberry limeade.
Not long ago I mentioned in this Sunday Spotlight, that there was a copycat Sonic Ocean Water drink I wanted to make with my daughter and when I showed her the recipe she was a bit excited. There used to be a Sonic in her college town but it closed – so she was bummed that in order to get her fix of this crystal blue-coconut flavored drink she’d have to drive to the next town which really isn’t practical on a college budget with gas.
This is so easy to make – a couple of cans of Sprite, coconut extract, food coloring and a sugar syrup and bam! you got Ocean Water. Add ice and enjoy. How easy is that?!?! My daughter did adapt the recipe slightly to suit her tastes and even had fun with changing up the colors a bit.
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2-3 drops of blue food coloring
- 2 - 12 oz cans of Sprite
- Combine the sugar and water in a small bowl (be sure it's microwave safe). Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a pitcher. Add the extract and food coloring and mix well.
- Once mixed, pour the Sprite into the pitcher and mix one more time.
- Serve and enjoy over ice.
Leave a Reply