Crispy Southwestern Wraps are an easy weeknight meal that is healthy and packed full of flavors. Dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
Welcome to the October Pinterest Challenge Blog Hop, hosted by My Pinterventures. The purpose of this Pinterest Challenge is to motivate all the participants of this hop (and you too) to not just pin, but to make it happen! This month, I chose to make Crispy Southwest Wraps from this pin. It’s from Taste Better from Scratch’s website and it is such a simple and delicious recipe.
In August, I made these Grilled Hawaiian Ham Skewers and they were a huge hit. Past #PinterestChallenge posts can be found here.
For my family, sometimes dinner needs to be spur of the moment when the day gets busy and dinner isn’t even a thought. That’s where these Crispy Southwestern Wraps come into play. Thirty minutes from start to finish. Cleanup is easy too.
Tips to Make Crispy Southwestern Wraps:
The filling for them is easy to put together and I love that you can use what you have on hand in your pantry and refrigerator. Don’t have or want ground beef, use ground turkey or shredded chicken. Change up the rice for brown rice or your favorite grain. If you have veggies that are nearing their expiration, this is the perfect recipe to use them in. My mother isn’t a corn fan, so I left it out but added a can of fire-roasted tomatoes to the filling.
While we like our food with a little spice, my mother does not. It’s an easy fix, once I had the ingredients in the skillet, I simply spooned some out to a smaller skillet. I added the chili powder to the larger skillet and not the one for mom.
I also didn’t layer the filling ingredients on the tortilla shells; this was mainly because I had already added the rice before I realized it was to be layered. They turned out delicious anyway and I think there is always more than one way to prepare recipes, so it worked out.
You’re going to want the larger flour tortilla shells, ones made for burritos. I didn’t have those but it worked out, just didn’t have as much filling in them.
Also, something I learned in making this recipe, have all of your shells filled, wrapped, and ready to go into the skillet to toast them on all sides. I prepared two at a time and it meant that I had to stop and fill more shells more often than I wanted to.
The recipe from the pin instructs you to lightly brush the wraps with oil before adding them to the skillet to brown up, I did not do this. I simply sprayed the skillet with non-stick spray for each batch. Worked just fine.
Crispy Southwestern Wraps
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican 4 Cheese blend (or your favorite cheese)
- 6-8 large flour tortilla shells
- sour cream, optional
- salsa, optional
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat. Break up the ground beef as it cooks, until it's browned. Drain grease.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and water. Stir to combine.
- Add black beans, bell peppers, drained tomatoes, and onions and toss to combine. Saute for a 2-3 minutes. Then add the rice to the mix and combine. Heat until the mixture is hot throughout.
- Lay the tortillas out and add a layer of cheese on top of them. Add a scoop (about 1/3 cup or so) on top of the cheese in a line in the center of the tortilla.
- At this point, if you would like to add a little sour cream, now is the time. Then, fold the sides up of the tortilla shell and roll the shell up like a burrito.
- Spray the skillet generously with cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat. Once heated, place the wraps seam side down on the greased skillet. Turn the wraps every couple of minutes, until they are golden and crispy on all sides. Serve warm, with salsa, if desired.
Let’s meet this month’s Pinterest Challenge hosts!
My Pinterventures • Eye Love Knots • Faeries and Fauna • Life Beyond the Kitchen
Across the Boulevard • Purple Hues and Me • Intelligent Domestications
My Family Thyme • Mom Home Guide • Our Unschooling Journey
Our Crafty Mom • Sum of their Stories • Farm Girl Reformed
Decorate and More with Tip • This Autoimmune Life • Sew Crafty Crochet
Domestic Deadline • Cookies Coffee and Crafts • My Sweet Things
Christina Faye Repurposed • Blogghetti • Teadoddles • Our Good Life
TO JOIN NEXT MONTH’S #PINTERESTCHALLENGE, CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP ⇒ November Pinterest Challange
Now, let’s see what the other hosts have created ⇓⇓
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
What a delicious dinner and easy too. I need to add these to our dinner menu.
Oooo yum, these are making my mouth water. Pinning this recipe, thanks.
These look delicious and it’s great that it’s a quick meal to put together.
Terrie Tipler says
I just had to print the recipe off to make for one of our meals this week. Thanks for sharing, they look very tasty. Have an awesome day!
Christina Woodcock says
These look yummy! In fact, my husband was looking over my shoulder as I was reading, and he wants to make them! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Mother of 3 says
Oh my; this looks amazing!! Pinned.
Cherryl Ehlenburg says
This sounds like something my family will love. I am pinning it and printing it out so we can try it soon!
Roseann Hampton says
Looks delicious – the more spice the better for me! It’s always nice to find new dinner recipes that are both quick and delicious!
Looks so good. Wraps are always a welcome meal at our house. I love them spicy. Thank you for the new recipe
This looks like a great hearty meal. We’re rice eaters, so having it included in the wrap is a plus! Pinned.
Hmmm, looks quite tasty! I love that it’s quick and easy to make! This is a must try recipe!
Kristie Cook says
Looks delicious & the filling is very similar to a recipe I already make. Pinning!
Yum! This is something my whole family would enjoy. Pinned