This post should be a pot roast recipe but sometimes recipes do not work out that way. It is also a reminder that I really should grocery shop more often and when I get the
whim craving for a pot roast dinner (complete with potatoes and carrots) I should check to see if I have all the ingredients!
The day started like any other: I was awakened by this fuzzy and hungry critter. After I feed her highness, Princess Fiona, it was time get the coffee in my system so I could function the rest of the day. The amount of studying I needed to do was not going to be ingested without a ton of coffee.
Before I started on the pile of books, I wanted to get a roast in the crockpot and decided to make mashed potatoes and Honey Glazed Carrots with it. So in went the roast and off I went to study. When it was time to get the rest of the dinner started, I quickly panicked when I discover I was out of BOTH potatoes and carrots! How did that happen?!?! Definitely needed Plan B. I saw some hard rolls on the counter and knew what we were having. Shredded the roast and while it was soaking up all of the delicious juices in the crockpot, I sauteed some sliced onion and sliced green bell peppers. Plan B saved the dinner! Plenty left for lunches the next day as well.
For the shredded beef:
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 of medium onion roughly diced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire
For the onion and pepper toppings:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh mushrooms sliced
- Salt and pepper to season
- slices of provolone cheese
- hard sandwich rolls
- Trim roast of visible fat. Rub Montreal steak seasoning on both sides of roast.
- Spray inside of crocpot with nonstick spray. Place the roast into a crockpot. Top roast with garlic and onion.
- Pour beef stock and Worcestershire over the roast.
- Cook on low for 68 hours.
- Remove roast from the crockpot and shred meat into with two forks, discarding any fat.
- Place the shredded beef back into the crockpot along with any juices that are on the plate. Allow beef to continue to cook on low.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, saute green peppers, mushrooms, and onions in butter about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Make sandwiches by placing the shredded beef, cheese, green peppers, mushrooms, and onions on one side of the roll.
- Turn your broiler on. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet open faced to melt the cheese and to slightly toast the rolls.
Leave a Reply