These Jumbo Upside-Down Pineapple Muffins are sweet and simple to make from scratch. Topped with a brown sugar glaze, pineapple ring, and a maraschino cherry they make the perfect sweet treat.
Last year we took a trip back home to be with my parents as my Dad was having surgery. The hospital was about 20 minutes away so we’d get up each morning and head to see my Dad for a bit. We’d head to Perkins Family Restaurant for breakfast and really loved it there. So much that we even went back every day Dad was in the hospital, whether it was for breakfast or lunch. One of the bakery items there was a jumbo upside-down pineapple muffin and before we knew it, we were ordering them with all of our meals. The blueberry muffins were a close second!
I had to make these muffins at home! I snapped a few pictures to remind me and wouldn’t you know it, I forgot about them until recently! The first time I made them was not a good version of the delicious muffin – let’s just say, they were a flop! They seemed a bit tough, not at all light and tender like I remember them to be. One of my baker friends told me to try to add a bit of cornstarch to the batter. Cornstarch, she said, would help soften the flour and would make the muffins lighter and more tender. So, I tried the recipe again and my friend was absolutely right! Perfection!
I think I made them two more times just to be sure, you know. Had to be sure they were perfect. Of course we ate them all in a matter of a couple of days. I did share some with my baker friend, I mean after all she was the one who saved the day.
They even look so pretty with the maraschino cherry on top!
For the Muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice use the juice from the pineapple can
- 2 tsp vanilla
For the Topping:
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 pineapple rings you'll need one 20 oz can and one 8 oz can
- 12 maraschino cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Jumbo muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, using a whisk or a softer, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, both sugars, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Add in the pineapple juice and mix unti combined.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Overmixing will result in a dense muffin.
- To make the topping: Using a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the brown sugar and vanilla. Whisk for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the topping into the bottom of each jumbo muffin cup. Place a pineapple ring on top in each muffin cup. Then place a maraschino cherry in the middle of each pineapple ring.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan about 5 minutes before removing from pan. I find it's easier to run a knife around each muffing to loosen any part that may be clinging to the sides of the pan. To make clean up easy, place a sheet of parchment or wax paper under your cooling rack prior to removing the muffins from the pan.
- Place a wire cooling rack over the muffin pan and flip over to release the muffins. Gently lift each stem so that it "stands" up.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may want to try this Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.