This Macaroon Cherry Pie has so much flavor. The pie crust is filled with a delicious cherry filling and topped with shredded coconut and sliced almonds. It’s sure to become a family favorite.
I can’t even tell why I haven’t posted this recipe on the blog before. We’ve made it several times over the years. It’s my wonderful Mother-in-law’s recipe. It’s one of the standard pies that is served at Thanksgiving in her house, along with pumpkin pie. I’ll tell you this, upfront, I am not a cherry pie person. Not at all. The very first time I had a slice of this pie, I was like WHOA!
This is some kind of good pie!
It’s not Thanksgiving but it is #StoneFruit week for my fellow #FestiveFoodies group of bloggers. All this week, we will be sharing delicious recipes using stone fruits. In addition to this recipe, check out the Grilled Peaches with Blueberry Syrup and this 2 Ingredient Creamy Mango Sherbet.
This cherry pie has a delicious topping made from shredded coconut and sliced almonds. It toasts up so nicely while the pie is baking. It gives it a little sweetness with the tart cherries. A good balance.
Tips for Making This Macaroon Cherry Pie:
If you prefer to make your own pie crust, please do so. I have not perfected that feat yet, so I rely on a frozen pie crust to get me through. You will want to let the frozen crust thaw a few minutes and using a fork, pierce the bottom of the crust lightly a few times so that it will not puff up and break apart. You will be pre-baking the crust a few minutes.
Making the filling for this cherry pie is simple. You’ll add the sugar, cornstarch, and reserved liquid from the cherries to a boil; simmer till thick.
Then adding the cinnamon and food coloring; and finally, you will fold in the cherries.
Pour the filling into your pre-baked pie shell and bake for 20 minutes.
While that is baking, prepare the topping, which is super easy – combine all the ingredients for the topping and mix.
Once the pie has baked for 20 minutes, you’ll reduce the oven temp and add the topping to the pie. Bake for another 20 minutes and then remove and let cool a good hour before chilling the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to set. You don’t want the filling to run all over the plate once cut the pie.
Macaroon Cherry Pie
- 1 9 inch frozen pie crust (deep dish style)
- 3 cans (14 ½ oz each) pitted tart cherries in water Drain and RESERVE 1 cup of the cherry juice to use in filling.
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red food coloring, optional This is not needed, just gives a darker cherry color in the pie
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut I used unsweetened, but sweetened is good as well.
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°. While oven is preheating, let pie crust thaw. Pierce the bottom of crust with a fork a few times. Bake pie crust for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While pie crust is pre-baking, prepare the filling on the stove top. Drain cherries and reserve 1 cup of the liquid. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; slowly stir in reserved cherry liquid until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. It doesn't take long.
- Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon and food coloring if desired. Gently fold in cherries.
- Pour into crust. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. If the edges are browning too fast, cover them with foil.
- While the pie is baking, prepare the topping. In a large bowl, combine topping ingredients and mix well. Remove the foil if you used it. Spoon topping over pie.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake 15-20 minutes more or until topping is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 4 hours or overnight before cutting.
Final #StoneFruit recipes for the week:
Roasted Lamb with Bourbon-Plum Glaze from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Mango Watermelon Salad from Our Good Life
Homemade Cherry Turnovers from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Macaroon Cherry Pie from Blogghetti
Peach Pie Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Vegan Chocolate Cherry Galette from The Baking Fairy
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
Debbie A says
OMG your whole site looks so yummy. Do you do waitr? Could I get delivery hehehehe
Awww thank you Debbie! For you, I’d deliver anytime!
I’m loving the combination of cherries and coconut in this pie!
Valentina | The Baking Fairy says
This pie sounds amazing! I’m not a big cherry pie person either, but I love that you are using fresh cherries. I will have to give this one a try!
I’m loving that coconut topping this pie. It looks and sounds divine!