This past weekend I needed a break from all of the boring reading for classes so I baked. I baked all day. I loved it. I really only ever do that at the holidays and then it’s non-stop. Probably a good thing that when I marathon bake I can’t eat any of it because I have baked that much! I should have gone to the grocery store because this morning – a Monday morning – I have NO coffee in the house! I don’t even know HOW that happened?!?! All I can say is – nothing because it won’t be pretty.
I didn’t think I had a Meatless Monday meal to share with you but I do! It’s a mighty tasty one and healthy! The only thing anyone said about it, other than “YUM”, was the fact the pasta wasn’t their “normal” white pasta which gave the dish a darker than normal tint. Ha! They ate it so that’s “win” for Mom! Oh, and one family member said it wasn’t “spicy” enough. I don’t think there is a level of “spicy” enough for her so her vote was vetoed. Oh, did I mention this is a “one-pot” meal? Yes, it is. Easy clean up! Another win!
- 1 13.5 oz. box of whole wheat ziti
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel canned tomatoes and chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning our favorite is Taco Bell brand
- 4 cups vegetable) broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, add all the ingredients EXCEPT the beans and cheese.
- Give it a stir to combine everything. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- There should be about 1/2 inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot when it is done.
- Stir in the black beans and cheese. Heat about 5 minutes or until the beans are heated and the cheese has melted.