Tips to make Sweet and Sour Pork
Dinner favorites such as this pork dish is even better the next day! Sweet and sour pork is great over the rice we serve it but also egg noodles or even mashed potatoes.
Simple and Delicious Sweet and Sour Pork
- 1 1/2 pounds lean pork cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped (any color will do)
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt & pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar depending on your taste
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp catsup
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock can use broth
- Prepare the sauce by combining the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, and catsup. Whisk well.
- Set the sauce aside for now.
- Saute the onion, celery, and bell peppers in the olive oil for a few min (do not over cook). You want them tender-crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, brown pork, seasoning with salt & pepper to taste. You may have to add a bit more olive oil to the pan. Do not crowd the pork, instead brown in batches if necessary.
- When all pork is browned, place in pan and add the garlic, let cook about 30 seconds more. Pour the prepared sauce over the pork; bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for about an hour or until meat is just about tender.
- When pork is just about done, add the vegetables that were set aside.
- When the meat is tender and vegetables are heated, combine 2 tbsp cornstarch with the 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir till mixture is clear. Pour over pork and vegetables and heat till thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!