Have I mentioned that I love my crockpot? I love the convenience of it and love the fact that on these hot summer days I can use it without heating up the house. I wanted to do something different with the ground beef that I had thawed and when I checked the pantry I saw that I had some sweet and sour sauce. Then I remembered I had a recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs. Uses the crockpot, it’s easy to prepare, and I had all the ingredients on hand. Bingo! This would be a great dinner for tonight! Thinking past dinner, this would be a great appetizer to take to a get-together or even a potluck.
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1¼ cups Panko bread crumbs
- ½ small onion, chopped finely
- 1 eggs
- ¼ plus ⅛ cup ketchup
- ⅛ cup brown sugar
- 1 (10 oz) jar sweet and sour sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (Use what colors you have on hand)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained (you can use crushed too)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, Panko, onion, eggs, ketchup, and ⅛ cup brown sugar until blended.
- Form into about 1 inch balls and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.
- When cooked through, place on a plate and set aside.
- Spray inside of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. (Makes for easy clean-up!)
- Place all sweet and sour sauce ingredients inside the slow cooker and stir to combine
- Add meatballs and coat them with the sauce.
- Place lid on slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Serve over rice.
You can use frozen meatballs, too if you are short on time. I like to make a double batch of meatballs when I am making them for a recipe and then freeze half for a later use.
You can use ground turkey would be good in place of the ground beef.