This Slow Cooker Vegetarian Spicy Cheese Dip is full of flavor and spice. It’s a perfect cheesy dip for game day or movie night snacking.
January is National Slow Cooker Month and what a better way to celebrate it than with easy recipes like this vegetarian spicy cheese dip! I am joining several other food bloggers this week to share slow cooker recipes. Be sure to scroll past the recipe to see a list of what we are sharing today! Monday I shared this delicious sweet 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Cherry Cobbler. Come back on Friday for even more recipes all using that slow cooker.
I don’t know about you, but I am still making recipes using what I have in the pantry before I dash out to the store to get a one or two items as I have in the past. It’s been challenging at times but a fun experience to come up with dishes that my family will eat as they really aren’t cut for low carb or vegetarian meals.
Replacing black beans for the usual ground beef in this slow cooker cheese dip was a no-brainer for me but I wasn’t sure how the rest of the family would react. Typically I would just toss in Velveeta cheese, a can of rotel, and some cooked ground beef and call it good. They love it and they absolutely LOVED this version without the ground beef. Win!
This time I wanted to spice the cheese dip up a bit more with our favorite salsa, some canned diced jalapenos, and my homemade taco seasoning. Adding the black beans in place of the cooked ground beef gives the cheese dip more fiber and a twist on taste. Using the slow cooker made it easier for everything to take its time for all of the flavors and spices to meld and become a smooth cheesy dip perfect for tortilla chips and vegetables.
How to Make Slow Cooker Vegetarian Spicy Cheese Dip
Begin by rinsing and draining two cans of black beans. Cut the Velveeta cheese into long strips; this will make it easier to melt, rather than having a large block of cheese in the slow cooker.
In your slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients, cover and let cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours on LOW, giving it a quick stir every 30 minutes.
It’s done when all of the cheese is melted and the dip is smooth and warm. Serve with tortilla chips or cut up veggies.
You may also enjoy this Classic Layered Taco Dip, which is not a vegetarian recipe but is so good!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Spicy Cheese Dip
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced jalapenos
- 1 jar (15.5 ounces) medium chunky salsa (you can use mild or hot, too)
- 1 box (32 ounces) Velvetta cheese, cut into long strips or chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [https://blogghetti.com/homemade-taco-seasoning-a-lesson-on-whats-in-that-packet/]homemade taco seasoning
- Be sure to drain and rinse the black beans.
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and cover. Cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours on LOW, stirring every 30 minutes. The cheese dip is done when the cheese is melted and the dip is smooth and warmed.
- Serve with tortilla chips or cut up veggies.
Wednesday’s Slow Cooker Recipes
This week we are celebrating all things slow cooker! We have delicious recipes from across the country to fill your meal plans with delicious slow cooker recipes!
- Slow Cooker Saucy Pork Chops from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Simple Slow Cooker Breakfast Pizza from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Balckbean Soupfrom Magical Ingredients
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Thighs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Spicy Cheese Dip from Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Chicken Gyro Bowl from The Spiffy Cookie
- Easy and Delicious Beef Ragu from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup from Our Crafty Mom
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
I love the textures in this dip and a little spice is nice too!
Kathryn Donangelo says
You had me at cheese dip! I will be making this and I can’t wait. Love how cheesy and easy this is to make!
Ashley Marie Lecker says
This is so easy and so delicious. I love that there are flavors from the taco seasoning and salsa- such an easy appetizer and perfect for game day.
An amazing and addictive cheese dip! This could be perfect for a party. Thanks for the recipe.