These Breakfast on-the-go Muffins are filled with a spicy sausage, eggs, veggies, and cheese which can easily be frozen for a quick “heat and go” breakfast any day of the week.
For most of the south, at least where I am living, back to school was two weeks ago. Growing up in Pennsylvania, school started the day after Labor Day – like clockwork and ended near the end of June. Moving to the south, the trend seems to be to start in the “heat of the summer” and end right as it is starting to get summer-like again.
No matter where you live and for whatever reason, breakfasts on school mornings need to be quick and convenient. Quick and convenient meaning don’t expect a leisurely Sunday morning-type breakfast. Parents are rushing to get ready themselves for work and their children for school and have zero time for that! At least, I never did!
I’ve made a breakfast muffin that is super easy to make ahead and even freeze. They’ll last a few days in the refrigerator and a month in the freezer. Just pop the Sausage-Egg Muffins with Veggies in the microwave for a few seconds (a bit longer if they are frozen) and add some fruit or not.
For those late days, you know what I am talking about – when the kids are late getting to the bus, just place one or two of these breakfast muffins in a resealable bag (after you have heated them up) and kiss the kids good bye as you place the bag in their hands.
They’re pretty good cold too – so you can pack them in the lunch box as well.
Easy to make breakfast muffins
Breakfast on-the-go muffins are filled with spicy sausage, bell peppers, onions, scrambled eggs, and cheese. The filling is then folded into a basic muffin batter and baked in the oven in a muffin tin (with more cheese on top) until the muffins are set and cooked through.
The spicy sausage gives it a kick but can be replaced with any type of sausage, bacon, or even ham. Change up the vegetables as well, broccoli is great in these muffins!What's not to love about these On-the-Go Breakfast Muffins? Bake a batch today!
Back to School: Breakfast on-the-Go Muffins (and a Giveaway)
- 1 lb spicy or regualar ground sausage
- 1/4 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 7 large eggs divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canola or vegegtable oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease or line muffins cups with liners.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. When sausage is just about done, add the bell pepper and onions. Cook until vegetables are soft and sausage is done.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk five eggs. Pour into same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and cooked through (scrambled eggs.) Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk remaining 2 eggs, milk and oil until blended. Add this to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in 2/3 cup cheese, sausage and scrambled eggs.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
- Can be frozen once cooled: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, microwave each muffin on high for 45-60 seconds or until heated through.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!