For most of the south, at least where I am living, back to school was two weeks ago. Growing up in Pennsylvania, school started the day after Labor Day – like clockwork and ended near the end of June. Moving to the south, the trend seems to be to start in the “heat of the summer” and end right as it is starting to get summer-like again. No matter where you live and for whatever reason, breakfasts on school mornings need to be quick and convenient. Quick and convenient meaning don’t expect a leisurely Sunday morning-type breakfast. Parents are rushing to get ready themselves for work and their children for school and have zero time for that! At least, I never did!
I’ve made a breakfast muffin that is super easy to make ahead and even freeze. They’ll last a few days in the refrigerator and a month in the freezer. Just pop the Sausage-Egg Muffins with Veggies in the microwave for a few seconds (a bit longer if they are frozen) and add some fruit or not. For those late days, you know what I am talking about – when the kids are late getting to the bus, just place one or two of these breakfast muffins in a resealable bag (after you have heated them up) and kiss the kids good bye as you place the bag in their hands. They’re pretty good cold too – so you can pack them in the lunch box as well.
These Breakfast on-the-go muffins are filled with spicy sausage, bell peppers, onions, scrambled eggs, and cheese. The filling is then folded into a basic muffin batter and baked in the oven in a muffin tin (with more cheese on top) until the muffins are set and cooked through. The spicy sausage gives it a kick but can be replaced with any type of sausage, bacon, or even ham. Change up the vegetables as well, broccoli is great in these muffins!
GIVEAWAY is OVER
Now, let me tell you about this Back to School Giveaway! I’ve teamed up with 9 other awesome Bloggers to give away $100 PayPal Cash to one lucky person! You can use the money for school supplies, clothes, or whatever you choose to! Be sure to follow the rafflecopter instructions for entering and read the disclaimer; which is after the Sausage-Egg Muffins with Veggies Recipe. It’s easy to enter so no worries there! What would YOU buy with the $100?
- 1 pound spicy or regular ground sausage
- ¼ cup diced bell peppers
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 7 eggs, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease or line muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage until done. When the sausage is just about done, add the bell peppers and onions. Cook until vegetables are softened.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk 5 eggs. Pour into same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until scrambled and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside for the moment.
- In another small bowl, whisk remaining eggs, milk and oil until blended and add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Fold in 1 cup of cheese, all of the sausage mixture and the scrambled eggs.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Top muffins with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
- Make ahead Tip: Make these ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Pop them in the microwave until warm for a quick on-the-go breakfast. The muffins can be frozen as well and then reheated in the microwave.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Back to School $100 PayPal Cash Giveaway
Thank you to these awesome bloggers for helping sponsor this giveaway:
Ends August 26, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. EDT
Prize: 1 winner will receive $100 PayPal cash.
Eligibility and Rules: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. This giveaway is open to individuals over the age of the majority in their home country. The winner will be chosen randomly through the Rafflecopter form. It is the sole responsibility of the winner to adhere to all laws in their respective country, which includes payments to any governing tax body.
Winner Selection: The winner of the giveaway will be selected in a random drawing through Rafflecopter from among all eligible entries received throughout the promotion period. The random drawing will be conducted within 48 hours of the closing of the giveaway by Munofore or its designated representatives, whose decisions are final. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible entries received. Winner will be notified by email by email@example.com. Potential winner must accept the prizes by email as directed by Munofore within 48 hours of notification. Any winner notification not responded to or returned as undeliverable may result in prize forfeiture. The potential prize winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, and a Publicity Release (collectively “the Prize Claim Documents”).
Social Media Disclaimer: Entrants should understand that they are providing their information to the sponsors of the giveaway and not to Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram or Google+. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any of these social media sites.
Disclaimer: This giveaway is blog sponsored and is in no way associated with PayPal. If there are any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the Rafflecopter form below to enter!
The more entries you complete on the Rafflecopter form, the higher your chances are of winning. If you don’t have time to fill out all of the entries you may come back and complete any entries you may have missed.