This post was originally published on February 21, 2012 and now has been edited and updated.
Stop using the packaged fajita spices and make your own blend. You probably already have all of the spices and herbs in your pantry. Making your own seasoning mixes you control the salt and add or decrease the amounts of the other seasonings to suit your taste buds. I made up a huge batch of this zesty homemade fajita seasoning and use it in all sorts of recipes besides fajitas.
This recipe is simple to put together and delicious! Fajitas are one of our favorites and grilling or cooking them on the stove-top is the typical way to make them. Baking chicken fajitas in the oven is effortless, really it is. Just toss all the ingredients in the baking dish and bake. The oven does the work and roasting the meat and vegetables gives them a slightly charred edge and a sweetness that is just so good. Another great reason to baked your chicken fajitas is that you can make a larger portion for either serving more people or leftovers. I love this recipe for the leftovers because lunch or dinner is done for the next day. Leftover fajitas are great in the form of Chicken Fajita Quesadillas or serve the leftover mix over rice.
Oven-Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 large bell pepper seeded and sliced (I use half a green and half a red)
- 12 flour tortillas
- Toppings such as cheese sour cream, and guacamole – if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken strips in a greased 13×9 baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, coriander, and salt
- Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.
- Next add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and stir to combine.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Pin this for later!