After spending the day researching and writing a paper on Yoga Therapy for Eating Disorders for my Abnormal Psychology class, the last thing I wanted to do was cook a meal. I knew whatever I cooked was going to be quick so I could relax the rest of the evening watching my favorite show, NCIS. While the chicken was in the oven doing it’s oven-fried thing I made a tossed salad and this Quick Mexican Rice dish. The salsa and cumin add so much flavor to the rice.
I used to shy away from cooking rice unless it was the minute type, but once I made Spanish Rice , I was hooked. I still use the minute type every now and then but that’s mainly when I “forget” to start the rice and the rest of the meal is nearly done. The trick to not having the rice mushy or some of it still raw is not to lift the lid while it’s simmering. Works every time for me.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add butter and let melt.
- Add onion and saute till soft, then add the garlic and cook for another 1 - 2 minutes, stirring so the the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add in the rice, chicken broth, salsa, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rice stand with lid on for 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.