Crispy Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips are a simple and delicious snack idea for anyone. They’re easy to make; just slice, sprinkle, and bake!
Since starting to eat a more Paleo diet, we’ve had to cut out favorite snacks such as chips for hubby and crackers for me. I love to snack on some wheat crackers with thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese. It’s my one and only afternoon snack. We’ve also had to give up our sweets, which for me wasn’t a huge deal.
A few months back, I was craving something crunchy and sweet. What’s a girl to do when she can’t even cheat as there wasn’t anything in the house to cheat with! Ha!
They tell you that if you don’t give into your cravings slightly while dieting (or as I call it, healthier eating) that you will eventually just cave and binge. Yea…not happening with me. I have come too far to be doing that.
So – – apples are my go-to crunchy and sweet snack. They really do hit the spot, especially Honeycrisp apples!
I decided to change it up and make these yummy baked cinnamon apple chips. They did not disappoint! Thinly sliced apples, sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon and cardamon, and slowly baked until they were dried and crisp were the perfect healthy snack!
Now, if you really need a sweeter option and aren’t eating Paleo, then by all means add some brown sugar to the spices and sprinkle on the apple slices. However, you really don’t need to add the brown sugar, the sweetness of the apples combined with the spices is all that is needed.
A slight drawback for me was that fact that I do not own a mandolin, which will slice those apples paper thin. Instead, I used a sharp knife and did the best I could at keeping the slices super thin. Some weren’t that thin and I just let them in the oven a bit longer and they turned out great.
The only other drawback of this recipe is that you need time, time for the apple slices to bake as they bake on a low temp for three hours. Really, that’s not a con either as you can certainly can binge watch a few episodes of your latest binge-worthy show.
Cinnamon Apple Chips (Paleo Snack)
- 3 apples any kind you like
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife to cut the apples into thin slices, discarding the seeds. Place apple slices onto prepared baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground cinnamon and ground cardamom.
- Sprinkle the apple slices with HALF of the spice mixture.
- Bake at 220 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, flip the apple slices over, and sprinkle with the rest of the spice mixture.
- Return the pans to the oven rotating the pans from the top rack to the bottom racks.
- Bake again for another 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- To test for doneness: remove a couple of baked apple chips from the oven and let them cool on a plate for a couple of minutes to see if they get crispy. If they are crispy to your liking, they are done. If not, continue baking for a few minutes longer until the apple chips feel dry to the touch and crisp up within a couple of minutes of cooling.
- Be sure to store the apple chips in an airtight container and they will stay crisp for up to a week.
- Recipe adapted from The Gunny Sack
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!