Breakfast around my house on the weekends typically includes eggs cooked in some form or fashion, some form of a bread, and occasionally hash browns and sausage. It can get boring at times and then I remember you don’t have to have a spread like that for breakfast all the time. Sometimes something sweet is called for and since Krispy Kreme doesn’t deliver, I’m left to my own creations. It’s not really my creation, I mean I didn’t invent it but I sure do like to make them.
When a recipe calls for simple-on-hand ingredients, easy and quick to whip up; how can you go wrong?! This Blueberry Glazed Biscuit recipe is just that, simple, easy, and delicious. It’s perfect to make for the kids (and adults) in the morning before they’re off to school or work. Make a batch up for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast or to take to a brunch. Fresh or frozen blueberries work in this recipe and if you don’t have buttermilk, regular milk works just fine. You can do what I did in place of the buttermilk and make your own: Mix 1 tbsp. of lemon juice with 1 cup of milk, let it sit for 10 minutes and then use it as directed in the recipe. Don’t just take my word for it, try it for yourself and see.
For the biscuits:
- 2 1/4 cups Bisquick I use HeartSmart
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 - 1 cup buttermilk can use milk or make your own buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries if using frozen, thaw first and drain
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 450. Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray
- Stir together Bisquick, sugar and buttermilk until a soft dough forms.
- Fold in blueberries, gently.
- Using a large ice cream scoop (mine holds about 3 tbsp), scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet and bake 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes on a wire rack, remove to a serving plate.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk and spoon over still warm biscuits.