I was on the hunt one day for Hard Rolls at the grocery stores and was unable to find exactly what I was looking for. A friend of mine gladly shared her simple recipe to make them from scratch. They were perfect! And so easy to make!
A great roll with a crusty outside, soft, chewy inside
2 1/2-3 cups flour2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast1 teaspoon sugar1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon oil1 cup warm water
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cold water
Preheat oven to 450 deg.F.
1. Pour 2 1/2 cups flour into a large bowl and form a well in the center.
2. In a separate container, mix yeast, sugar, and two tablespoons water (water comes from the 1 cup above).
3. Pour yeast mixture into the well but do not mix with the flour at this time.
4. Cover bowl with a cloth and set it in a warm place for 15 minute to rise.
5. Add remaining water and oil and beat until mixed.
6. Turn dough out onto counter and knead until smooth. Adding remaining 1/2 cup flour as needed.
7. Put dough in bowl, cover and let rise until double in size. (about 30-40 min).
8. Punch down and divide dough into 12 parts.(or as big of rolls as you would like)
9. Shape into oval rolls and place 3 inches apart on greased and floured cookie sheet.
10.Cover and let rise until double in size.
11.Brush with starch glaze
12. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.The time is an estimate, depending on how big your rolls are.
In measuring cup, combine cold water and cornstarch, mixing until smooth. Add boiling water, stirring continuously until desired amount (1/2-1 cup). Stir until glaze thickens, cool. Use to provide a crunchy, crusty crust on breads and rolls.
Leave a Reply